Caring for your heirloom
Now that you're the proud owner of a gorgeous piece of jewelry, it's important to understand the best method for maintaining its beauty for generations to come.
We offer, and encourage, frequent complimentary cleaning for the life of your jewelry. In the event that a repair needs to be made, we can take care of that, too! Here are some helpful tips on preserving your family heirloom:
3 places Never to wear your jewelry
1. TO THE GYM
Platinum and gold are malleable and brittle metals, and overtime, WILL bend and/or break when lifting or holding a heavy object. Although durable, a diamond can still be chipped. This rule can be applied to all manual tasks, not just the gym!
2. IN THE SHOWER
Soap and cleansers can build up under your stones and make them appear cloudy. It's best to avoid contact with chemicals when at all possible (like in the pool and spa).
3. WHILE SLEEPING
A prong can catch on the sheets and bend, causing you to lose a stone. Remove your jewelry before your nightly routine, and keep them safe and sound on your vanity or nightstand.
looking for an alternative ring to wear while doing the above mentioned activities?
We are excited to now be carrying Enso Rings in store! These silicone bands are an awesome alternative wedding band for when you're traveling, doing heavy lifting or manual labor! They come in a variety of sizes, styles and colors, stop by our showroom to browse our selection!
a few helpful tips on cleaning your jewelry at home in between professional cleanings at walton's:
- Diamonds and most colored gemstones can be cleaned using warm water and a mild soap. Use a soft bristled toothbrush to lightly scrub away any built up residue.
- Be sure to rinse your jewelry in a bowl of clean water to remove cleaning solutions, since you risk losing stones or whole pieces of jewelry down the sink!
- Soft gems, like pearls and opals, can easily scratch. A soft, link free cloth is best to use in place of soaps and brushes.
- When you're not wearing your jewelry, store it in a clean, dry, room temperature, safe place. Avoid tossing it in a drawer where the gems could get scratched or damaged.
- Have your jewelry professionally cleaned and checked as often as you'd like, but we recommend every 6 months.